LGBTQ+ Affirming Therapy
At Mind, Body, and Soul Therapy, our knowledgeable therapists welcome people from all backgrounds, and that includes offering LGBTQ+ affirming therapy to members of the South Jersey community. Offering affirming therapy means that we support whoever you are.
Whether you’re visiting us for concerns specifically associated with your identity within the LGBTQ+ community, or you just want to work with a therapist who you can trust to support you in a judgement-free environment, we’re here for you. You can learn more about LGBTQ+ affirming therapy on this page or reach out to our team to find out more.
Why Would I Need to Specifically Seek LGBTQ+ Affirming Therapy?
We understand that identifying as part of the LGBTQ+ community is only one part of who you are, and you may be thinking, “Why does it matter if my therapist is LGBTQ+ affirming? I just need help with *fill in the blank*.” That’s true. Any good therapist should be able to help you develop new tools and strategies for things like exploring emotions, working through grief, navigating difficult life transitions, or managing stress. However, not all therapists are trained to understand the specific challenges, worries, and fears facing the LGBTQ+ community. Countless studies have shown that people who identify as LGBTQ+ have higher rates of depression and anxiety, increased stress levels, and a greater risk for relying on self-destructive coping mechanisms. When you work with an affirming therapist you know a few things before you even walk through the door:
- The office is a judgement free zone where you will never be treated differently because of your orientation or gender identity (this should be true in every therapy practice, but be assured that it is true at Mind, Body, and Soul).
- Therapists are knowledgeable about issues affecting the LGBTQ+ community, and they have the necessary information to provide you with the right support and resources.
- The therapist you’re working with understands and has a heart for providing care to people in the LGBTQ+ community as a therapist and advocate for you and your rights to live and love fully.
- You are safe with us.
How Can Therapy Help?
There are so many reasons why people consider therapy. On our main services page, you can find out more about our general therapy services. Some of the specific times you may want to consider working with an LGBTQ+ affirming therapist include:
- Your loved ones are having trouble accepting your LGBTQ+ identity, and their lack of support is taking a toll on you and your self-confidence.
- You are in the process of exploring your sexuality or gender identity and want a safe space to process more deeply and intentionally.
- Your child has recently “come out” to you. You want them to work with a therapist to make sure they have the support and resources to manage potential concerns that may arise, or you want to work with a therapist to ensure you’re providing them the best support.
- You experienced discrimination, adversity, or violence specifically related to your identity, and you want to work with and advocate who can help you manage the emotions and negative results of this event that you’re struggling with.
How do I Choose a Clinician?
In order to successfully achieve your counseling goals, you need to find a clinician who can provide a safe, supportive environment where you feel confident sharing your thoughts and feelings. It’s not always easy to talk about some of the tough subjects that arise during counseling sessions, so we strive to ensure that you are working with someone who makes you feel comfortable. At Mind Body and Soul, we have a team of knowledgeable clinicians who share a commitment to helping people, but they each have unique training and professional experience. Take a look at our About Us page. You’ll find more information about each of our clinicians. If you feel that one of our counselors may be a good fit for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to us on the phone, via email at [email protected], or use our convenient online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you soon.